Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Strip Loin Steak


We haven't had beef for a while and I felt like a steak. I looked at tenderloin first but decided it was too pricey and didn't look tempting enough. Strip loins were on sale so I grabbed a package and headed home.  Without that My Daily Special I liked so much at Quality Foods, I spend a lot less in the grocery store because I don't hunt for something to use my special on every day.

I did the baked potatoes in the microwave then wrapped them in foil with salt, chives and butter.  I put the wrapped potatoes in the BBQ with the steaks.  This produces baked potatoes with almost as much flavour as slow cooked ones, but in twenty minutes instead of 60. My potato has chives under the sour cream and bacon bits on top. I did the broccoli in the microwave but took it out 3 minutes before it was done and drizzled a little extra virgin olive oil over it, tossed it and put it back to finish cooking. That cooks the olive oil and gives it a wonderful flavour, cooking off the bitterness.

The steak was done on the BBQ in standard 2x2x2x2 minutes to get crossed grill marks on both sides. Eight minutes on high cooks a 3/4 inch steak to medium rare. Fresh chopped parsley on top to make it look like I tried to plate nicely. I would have to make a fourth component to unify all three components. I haven't got a clue what would do that and, when it comes down to it, I really just want to eat a steak and don't much care how the plate looks. 

The steak was a little tough but tasted pretty good for non Angus beef. The baked potato had all the flavour of the sour cream it was drowning in along with the butter, chives, salt and bacon bits. No doubt this meal shortened my life, but I'd eat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment