Sunday, September 15, 2013

Simple White Cake with Banana


I felt like cake for dessert.  Not the dry, tasteless variety from a mix but a fresh scratch cake.  I have no idea where this recipe came from but it produces a nice small cake without a lot of fuss. I start by lining a 9x9 pan with parchment.  A loaf pan would work just fine too but would take a few more minutes to cook. Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Simple White Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk

Cream butter, then cream in sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir in milk. Pour into parchment.

Once I had the batter in the pan I had a banana getting over ripe on the counter so I sliced it into the batter and put it in the oven. Bake 30-40 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out with a crumb but no batter.

To ice the cake take two tablespoons icing sugar, a few drops of vanilla and a few drops of milk.  Mix and add milk till paste thins out enough to be poured over the cake but not run off the sides. I used to not frost the cake at all but it really does finish it nicely. The cake is definitely better with some kind of frosting on it. The banana gave the cake a whole new flavour profile, a bit like banana bread but still a vanilla cake. Very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment