Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ham and Pineapple Pizza


I made mozzarella cheese again.  I'm getting better at it but I think I need to heat and stretch it a bit more to improve the texture. Also my recipe doesn't call for salt and it really needs some.  I started by making crust dough.

Pizza Crust

1 1/4 cup flour (I use All Purpose with a bit exchanged for Vital Wheat Gluten)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp honey
1 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt

Mix the dry ingredients then add the honey and water and mix with a fork. Stir with a fork till all the flour is taken up, then take the dough out and knead it on the counter.  It should be kneaded at least 5 minutes.  If it isn't kneaded enough the bread will be tough. If it is sticky, dust with flour.  I let it rise in a warm oven for an hour then I stretched it out to size. (that took at least 20 minutes) While the crust was proofing I reduced some tomato sauce to a thick almost pasty consistency. I sweated garlic and basil into it too. 

First brush the dough with olive oil then spread tomato sauce over all.  Add a layer of thin sliced ham. Sprinkle pineapple pieces around.  Spread green pepper rings around the pie.  Cover with grated mozzarella cheese.  Bake in a 400ºF oven for 25 minutes.  I have a pizza stone and wooden paddle to transfer the pie from counter to oven and back again. (Hint: use parchment under the pie or it will stick to the paddle and fall apart.

I had no idea what it tasted like so it was reassuring when Fern bit into his and said, "MMMMM this is really gooooooooooood!"

Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment