Sunday, February 2, 2014

Prawns on Homemade Pasta


Fern wants less beef so we're having seafood a lot more than before.  Prawns and pasta has become such an easy goto dish I felt it needed a little extra effort this time.  So I made fresh pasta.  First, estimate the size of the eggs. My Ameraucana chickens lay small eggs but my ISA browns lay extra large eggs.  For extra large eggs start with 2/3 cup flour. Small eggs start with 1/3 cup flour.  break egg into well in flour.  With the tines of a fork pointing down, move the fork in a circular pattern until all the egg is taken up in the flour.  If the dough is still sticky, add flour.  Knead the dough to a smooth non sticky consistency. If the dough is even a little sticky it will turn into a ball of wet dough when it's cut. To knead dough place dough on counter and push down and away with the heel of your palm. The dough can be rolled by hand and cut into noodles with a knife or run through a pasta roller.

The sauce was simply a can of Tree of Life organic tomato sauce with a tablespoon of dried basil. I did sweat an onion with garlic then par cook the prawns and remove them from the pan first.  They went back into the sauce during the last 2 or 3 minutes cooking so they wouldn't be rubbery. I cooked probably 1/4 of the water out of the tomato sauce before serving.  

The salad vinaigrette is becoming a standard. If I put a salad down with the meal, we both eat it.  If I plan to get it later, we never get it. As long as the proportions remain the same, a lesser or greater amount can be made to serve more or less than two people.

Vinaigrette for two

2 tbsp oil (I use half olive, half canola)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (Maille brand is very good)
1 dot dijon mustard (half a chocolate chip)
salt
pepper

Whisk then toss the lettuce in it.

I forgot to salt the water for the pasta so it was bland. Otherwise it was a great meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment