Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pineapple Prawns


It was time for prawns and pasta and I had pineapple tidbits in the fridge.  I wasn't aiming for sweet and sour so the dish stayed firmly in the savoury end of the spectrum.  All I did was sweat an onion to golden then add 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and dried basil.  I precooked the prawns in the pan then removed them while I made the sauce.  The sauce was a can of organic tomato sauce which I reduced in the pan. I put penne pasta on to cook and during it's last 5 minutes I put the prawns back in the sauce to finish cooking.  I also added some drained pineapple pieces.  I whisked up a vinaigrette of 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a dot of dijon mustard. Tossed the salad in it and served the pasta with parmesan cheese grated on top.

It was surprisingly good.  The sauce was savoury but the pineapple pieces gave a sweet note. Fern probably wouldn't like it though so it most likely won't be made again.


No comments:

Post a Comment