Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Rib Steak - Dinner for One


When Fern goes away the steaks come out to play! I bought a wonderful rib steak for dinner to have with mushrooms, baked potato and a salad. I was going to BBQ it but the wind was howling over 60mph so I thought, frying pan is good! I didn't have fresh greens and when I thought about it I decided to go with only a salad. I seared mushrooms in butter, salt and black pepper. The potato was done in the microwave and topped with sour cream, chives and bacon bits. Eventually I'll use up all the artificial bacon bits and Fern won't let me buy them again. Then I'll have to use real ones or nothing. What a choice.

One thing I noticed.  The plate looks a lot better without the vegetables.  Had I tried just a little harder the plate would have looked just like it came from a restaurant kitchen. It's my first unified plate. Another case of less is more.

The salad is my usual.

Vinaigrette

2 tsp oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
salt
pepper
dot of dijon mustard

Whisk and toss the salad in it. I should try to come up with a different dressing so we aren't having the same thing all the time. I've found if I have the same great food every day, it starts to taste not that great. Variety keeps the taste buds alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment