Monday, February 3, 2014

Roast Loin of Pork with Roasted Potatoes


I was planning on pork chops with a white wine mushroom sauce but when I go to the store I found a loin roast was the same price as a few pork chops so I bought that instead.  When I got home Ryan was there with Fern so I invited him to stay for roast pork dinner.  That's what we did.

I didn't have time to brine the roast so I salted it well. It wasn't enough, it really screamed for more salt. Otherwise it was fine.  I put two bay leaves, a few sprigs of rosemary and some dried thyme on the roast.  I diced up three potatoes and three carrots and tossed them in salt and olive oil in a lasagne pan. I cleared a space in the middle for a rack and put the roast on the rack in the centre. That took an hour and a half to get to 170ºF in the centre. I had a piece of foil ready for the roast when it came out of the oven I set it on the carving board under foil to rest.  If you don't let a roast rest all the moisture will escape as steam when you carve it and the meat will be dry. Let it rest and cool and it carves beautiful moist slices, still hot but not steaming.

I had the broccoli cut up so I put it on the steam when the roast went under foil.  While it was steaming I made a vinaigrette for a small salad.

Vinaigrette

2 tbsp oil (olive/canola) olive oil by itself is too pungent so use your favourite oil to dilute it.
1 tbsp white wine vinegar 
1/2 tsp salt
mixed pepper
small dot dijon mustard - half a chocolate chip

Whisk and toss the salad in the vinaigrette.

When the broccoli is still crisp run under cold water to stop cooking.  Drain.  Empty the water and put olive oil in the pot.  Put the drained cold broccoli in the pot and toss to coat in olive oil. Burner set to just over medium low, reheat the broccoli in the oil.  Cooking the oil gives it a wonderful flavour and the broccoli finishes cooking in the oil. 

I served the roast with Fern's home made ketchup - onion, pear and tomato - delicious

It was clear I hadn't brined the pork, it really needed salt. Next time even if it's just 15 minutes I'll still brine it just to get some salt in it. Otherwise it was a wonderful meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment