Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pork Loin Roast


Save On Foods had pork loin ends on special and I had been watching them for a few days. They were roughly 1.5kg bags of pork loin for $3 per pound or about $7 per kilo. I picked one up and headed home.  It was late in the day so I didn't have time to brine the meat. Instead I put lots of salt on the outside, sprinkled dried thyme all over and laid bay leaves on the roast. In went the meat thermometer and into the oven at 325F for about two and half hours. I diced potatoes and carrots up, coated in olive oil and put them in the bottom of the roasting pan, they didn't brown nicely but they did taste amazing. That is pear sauce for condiment. 

The turnip was cooked for an hour and carrots were added for the last half hour then all was mashed with salt and butter. The greens were fresh snow peas, frozen peas and green onion. I par cooked the frozen peas in the microwave and cooked the snow peas with a little water in a frying pan.  When the snow peas were almost ready I added the frozen peas and shortly after that, the green onions. My plating is still firmly entrenched in the suburbs but the flavour packed into this meal carries me right down town.

Later today I'll cook rice, carrot, celery and onion and add that to the ground roast pork. At $3/lb this meat is as cheap as dog food, so to the dogs it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment