Wednesday, March 4, 2015

BBQ Chicken on Spanish Rice


I have no idea what is really in Spanish Rice so I use the term loosely. More properly this was cleaning out the fridge and am I glad I did, it tasted fantastic! I picked up a breast from Mitchell's and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it.  At the last minute I decided BBQ sauce and tomato rice of some sort. Plan in hand, off to the kitchen.

BBQ Sauce

2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp   prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp molasses
1 tsp blue agave syrup (sugar)
fresh ground mixed pepper

Roll the chicken in it and put on the BBQ on low for 25 to 30 minutes. 

Spanish Rice

1/3 cup Basmati Rice
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp  salt
1 tsp    olive oil

cook.

Stir in Fern's home made salsa, or any good salsa will do. Put it in the oven to warm while the beans cook. I wasn't sure how salsa rice would come out but it worked perfectly.

I boiled the fresh local beans and finished them in butter and black pepper.

The rice was surprisingly good. The beans were like from heaven and the chicken was so good it ate itself. If I'd known I could make BBQ sauce that tasted this good, I would have been making it all the time. I didn't even taste it before I used it, so this was a special surprise. My plating is even starting to look like the chef isn't a Neanderthal!

No comments:

Post a Comment