Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Salisbury Steak


I didn't want to buy another rib steak so I went for ground beef and ground pork, 2 to 1. I added bread crumbs, salt, black pepper and an egg to the meat. I should have used 1/3 of an egg so it had too much but it didn't ruin the flavour. I fried the meat patties on the stove and added the mushrooms to the pan when the meat was done.  I seared the mushrooms and added a packet of Bovril beef stock, few drops Worcestershire Sauce and half a cup of water.  That made a nice thin gravy so I added about 1/2 a teaspoon of tapioca flour to thicken it. After I put it in I remembered it was very sweet so I hoped that didn't ruin a beef dish. It didn't, the gravy was perfect consistency and the flavour was terrific. Next time I'll use a less sweet thickener just in case. I didn't use flour because I didn't want that pasty taste.

Under all those mushrooms there is a meat patti and a pile of mashed potatoes. Nice fresh broccoli on the side with butter, salt and pepper and it's a complete meal. It was really good. Lean ground meat from Mitchell's is competitively priced and tastes like it should have cost more. I'll make this again but with half the mushrooms and maybe a little garlic, mustard powder and ketchup in the meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment