Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Cajun Chicken on Lemon Rice with Asparagus and Fresh Hollandaise


Despite Lake Hollandaise, it was a simple meal to put together. The rice had salt, olive oil, pinch of dried dill and lemon juice to heighten it's flavour. The chicken I salted, coated with Cajun Spice Rub and brushed with olive oil before putting on the BBQ.  I put skin side down first for a few minutes to give grill marks on that side, then turn them over for a total cooking time of 30 minutes.

The asparagus I snapped the stems off and steamed in an asparagus steamer. Any kind of steamer will do. Someone gave me one so I use it. When a fork pierces the stem, they're done.

Easy Hollandaise

2 egg yolks
1/3 cup butter - melted, not hot
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cold water
salt

Slowly whisk melted butter into egg yolks until it's all taken up.  Mix lemon juice and water and whisk into yolks and butter. It must thin out so it can thicken when it cooks, either on induction burner or over a pot of boiling water.  I add more lemon and water as it cooks, keeping acid balance correct.  I want it thick but runny.  Finally add salt and taste. Adjust lemon juice and salt as needed to achieve a rich lemony flavour. 

Fern had less Hollandaise but he commented that the chicken is hard to get at. I should have put the Asparagus and Chicken side by side with rice at the top. I guess so, next time. He also remarked repeatedly how good it was.

That free run chicken from Mitchell's has so much flavour it doesn't matter what I do to it, it's wonderful. If I remember to bring a plastic container, I don't have to deal with all the paper the meat would be wrapped in. Saves the store money too.


No comments:

Post a Comment