Monday, March 9, 2015

Custard Ice Cream


I had too many eggs thanks to my prolific backyard chickens so I decided to try custard based ice cream. Usually I make it with milk and cream so this will be interesting.  It took 6 egg yolks to make the custard. Cracking the eggs without breaking the yolk was the hardest part. I whisked 3/4 cup sugar into the yolks. The vanilla bean, milk and whipping cream went on the stove simmering for 15 minutes. Then slowly add a cup of hot milk/cream to the yolks and finally, add the yolks to the hot milk. Bring temperature up to 160F then strain the custard, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the mixture. Add a tablespoon of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt stir, cover and put in the fridge for a minimum 8 hours.

The finished ice cream was much smoother and richer than the usual. It was almost a bit too rich for my tastes, but I forced a second helping down anyway. The lemon cake was made at Mitchell's, they have pretty good desserts there on top of the best meat in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment