Thursday, June 6, 2013

Angus Rib Steak with Baked Potato and Salad


I had an extra steak left from yesterday so Fern suggested I buy two more and have Ryan for dinner as well. I also picked up tomatoes and an English cucumber for salad.  English cucumbers are the long thin ones with ridges along their length.  The advantage they have is the skin isn't bitter so you don't have to peel them. I've been surprised by how many people don't know that.

The steaks were salted and seasoned with black pepper then done on the BBQ. To get the grill marks put the steaks over High Heat for 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes and they're done.

The baked potato I did in the microwave then wrapped in foil with butter, salt and chives and put in the BBQ to finish baking. 

The salad was butter lettuce from the garden along with local tomatoes and cucumber. For dressing I took 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons rice oil, 1 tablespoon walnut oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, fresh ground mixed pepper, thyme, chives and parsley. Whisk the oil into the vinegar and other ingredients to make a vinaigrette. Pour over salad, toss and serve.

It was a really good meal although red fatty meat two days in a row is sitting a little heavy. Looking at the plate today I think it's time I move beyond protein and starch on a plate.  I should start composing an entire entrĂ©e so the plate will look unified. I think I'll have to use some cook books to teach me how to go about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment