Saturday, June 15, 2013

Five Spice Rubbed Pork Back Ribs


There wasn't much interesting on sale at the meat counter so I settled on some pork back ribs.  I did a quick internet search for a recipe and came across several 5 spice rubs.  That sounded good to me so I rubbed the salt and then 5 spice and pepper. I knew that alone would be boring so I mixed:
1 oz (3 tbsp) tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp molasses 

and spread the sauce over the meat.  I put a sprig of thyme and rosemary on the sauce and a piece of fat trimmings on each piece of meat. Then I covered the pan with foil and put in a 350ºF oven for one and a half hours. I made mashed potatoes and corn and carrots for the vegetables. The corn and carrots might have been too sweet together. I need to pair corn with something else....not sure what.

I was afraid I'd burnt and dried out the meat but it was moist, tender and delicious.  A little too much 5 spice rub but it was still good, just a little too assertive.  I could taste the other flavours of thyme,  rosemary and the tomato and molasses sauce. It was a good dish, worth making again, but it needs to be better. Less 5 spice more BBQ sauce flavour. Next time I'll put a little water in the pan when it goes in the oven.

The small helping of potato isn't a mistake.  I've found it's much easier to control my weight by cutting down the carbohydrates while taking a little less protein and a little more vegetables, than trying to 'diet'. I suppose that is a diet, but it doesn't feel like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment