Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Yoghurt Instant Pudding


Rhubarb pie and home made yoghurt pudding. The pie I made the other day but I didn't get around to making frozen yoghurt today and I felt like more than just pie.  So I decided to make a panna cotta yoghurt dish instead.   

Panna Cotta is supposed be gelled but I only have xanthan gum to thicken it, so it'll be pudding instead.  I measured one cup of yoghurt and added 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 cup sugar (a bit less would have been better). To thicken it I added 3/4 tsp xanthan gum, which also gives it a slimy texture so I added 1/2 tsp pre-gelled corn starch to give a nice mouth feel. These two ingredients are the same ones used in Instant Puddings. I put a leaf of chocolate mint to garnish the pudding.  It was a surprisingly good dessert.

Xanthan gum is available at most grocery stores.  Pre-gelled corn starch I had to order on line.  Basically it's corn starch flash cooked under pressure and instantly dried to a powder. It doesn't need to be cooked so it's great for a quick cold dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment