Friday, June 28, 2013

Roast Pork



A small pork loin roast was on sale and we haven't had pork in a while so I picked it up.  It was late in the day so I didn't have time to brine it.  Instead I liberally salted and peppered it then laid bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprigs across the top. I inserted the meat thermometer and popped the roast in the oven.  It took close to two hours to cook at 325ºF. It didn't brown as nicely so I'll use 350ºF next time.

Mashed potatoes made in the usual manner with salt, butter and milk.  The carrots and peas were steamed then finished in the pot with extra virgin olive oil. I made a little pan gravy by adding a teaspoon of flour to the roasting pan and cooking the flour taste off. Then I added chicken stock and a splash of milk with some salt and pepper.

The pork is served with Fern's 'ketchup' and really makes the dish.  I overcooked the peas just a touch but it was hardly noticeable. The gravy was a real treat. If I had brined the roast it would have been a tiny bit better, but it was certainly good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment