Saturday, June 1, 2013

Super Snapper


Fresh local snapper was on sale for .99/100gm (1 portion) so I bought a large fillet for the two of us to share.  I pulled the bones out with pliers first then sprinkled probably about half a teaspoon of salt over both sides. Then I coated it with:
Snapper Rub

1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cumin
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)

I had potatoes on boiling away and put the carrots in the steamer getting a head start on the peas. After I laid the snapper in the pan I put the frozen peas in with the carrots.  I laid a sprig of rosemary on each piece of fish. I watched the side of the fillet for the white cooked meat to reach the center. Then I turned it over and put the rosemary back on top.

I finished the vegetables in butter with a little salt and black pepper.  The mashed were plain with butter, salt and milk. I plated the fish with a few drops of lemon juice.  

The fish was amazing! First off, I had enough salt. That is the single biggest problem with my cooking, bland, not enough salt. Salting the meat first, then seasoning worked much better. The rosemary imparted it's characteristic floral sweetness to lift the flavour up to it's peak and wave it around. 

This was my best snapper so far and I'm sure I can do better, eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment