Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Moose Ravioli with Southwest Chicken Breast


We had some moose sausage in the fridge so I decided to use that for the filling of some ravioli. Since I would make only 12 ravioli I felt I needed another meat to make a full portion.  I found the 2 smallest chicken breasts I've ever seen at the store and headed home.

I boned the breasts, put the skins on the fry for the dogs and seasoned the meat with salt and Southwest spice rub.

Southwest Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

I cut off about 2 inches of sausage and chopped it very fine.  I added some fresh ground parmesan but there wasn't enough fat to keep it all together.  So I got some egg white and mixed some with the meat. That worked.  I made 12 small balls.

Pasta

1 egg
2/3 cup flour

Use a fork to drag the egg through the flour until all the flour is taken up.  Work the dough a add more flour till it is no longer sticky.  Cover and put in the fridge for a while.  Roll out to number 6 of 7 thickness.  Dust the ravioli tray with flour and lay the pasta on it.  Put a meat ball in each pit and wipe the edge of each ravioli with egg white.  Lay the second piece of pasta on top and starting in the centre, push all the air out of the ravioli and seal them.  Roll the top of the ravioli form and peel the ravioli out. I had enough pasta to make some fettuccine so I decided to have more pasta and no salad on the side.  

I took a slice of onion and started sweating it.  I added two cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped.  I added a can of tomato paste and enough chicken stock to make a nice sauce of it.  I added enough salt to take the sharp edge off the tomato paste. Just before the pasta was ready I added fresh chopped basil to the tomato sauce.

The chicken breasts were on the BBQ for 2 minutes each side over high heat then set off the heat to roast for a total cooking time of 25-30 minutes. I plated it all called Fern for dinner.

Fern thought the tomato sauce was too intense, tomato paste alone doesn't seem to cut it. The ravioli held together and tasted good. It was too much pasta and not enough vegetable. Next time I'll stick to my original plan and have salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment