Sunday, June 16, 2013

Roast Pork with Roasted Potatoes


I picked up a nice roast pork for just over $5 which I soaked in 

Pork Brine

2 cups cold water
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp molasses

Soak several hours, but an hour and a half is enough to make a difference. Roast at 350ºF on a rack with bay leaves and sprigs of thyme and rosemary on top. I use a meat thermometer and cook to 160ºF. The potatoes were diced and tossed in oil with a little paprika and salt then put in the pan with the roast. When the roast came out the potatoes went back in to brown a little more.

The vegetables were steamed and finished with extra virgin olive oil. I'm not happy with the cooked flavour of my olive oil so I'm going to buy Berio for cooking. It has a much nicer cooked flavour. Raw it has a bitter after taste I don't like in salads, mayo, etc.

The meat rested under foil 15 minutes and should have gone 20.  If the meat is hot when its cut it dries immediately. I plated mine with home made ketchup. Another really good meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment