Thursday, June 13, 2013

Corned Beef in only 2 weeks!


Corned Beef takes a while to make but it's worth the wait!  I started with about one kilogram (2 1/2 lbs) of beef brisket.  The only curing salt available in my area is Morton's Tender Quick.  Curing salt has potassium added which gives the meat red colour and protects against botulism. I suppose regular salt could be used but the colour would be grey and unappetizing. 

To make the brine follow the instructions on the salt.  I measured 2 cups of cold water and added 1/2 cup curing salt, bring it to a boil and then cool in sink of cold water.  I use a food vacuum sealer but a zip lock bag works just as well.  Either way, add brine to meat in bag, then add a tablespoon of pickling spice and seal.  I mark the package with the date exactly 2 weeks from today. Every second day the meat should turned over.  On the ready date I remove the brine and either cook or reseal and freeze the cured meat.

To cook, quickly rinse the brine off and cover with cold water in a pot.  Simmer for 3 hours turning over every 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold. I use dijon mustard with corned beef.


No comments:

Post a Comment