Friday, June 21, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Frozen Yoghurt


The strawberries have been coming up so fast it's hard to use them all.  I harvested what rhubarb I had and picked all the berries.  First I made frozen yoghurt from my fresh made home made yoghurt. I put a cup or so of berries in a 4 cup measure and covered them with yoghurt.  I added less than a cup of milk to bring the level to 3 cups.  Then I used the immersion blender to break up the strawberries.  I think I put about 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar in the frozen yoghurt. I added a packet of gelatin but it added more water.  All that water frozen into a rock hard lump. I had to leave the yoghurt out of the freezer fro 20 minutes before I could scoop it. I should have cooked the berries a bit first to reduce the water content.

I put about 4 cups of strawberries and rhubarb in a pot on the stove and cooked them to soften a bit. I added enough sugar to get a tart but not sour filling.

Pie Crust

1 cup lard
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp vinegar

Cut the lard into the flour and salt until it is the texture of coarse oatmeal. Whip the egg into the liquid and add half liquid to flour.  Use a fork to mix the flour into the egg and add more liquid until all the flour is taken up.  Put the ball of dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill so it will roll easily. Roll the dough out and poke the bottom with a fork then coat the inside with butter.  Add 1/4 cup flour to the strawberry rhubarb mixture.

Pour 3 cups filling into the pie crust, add the top crust and poke holes in it.  Put the pie on a cookie sheet so the filling won't bubble out and get all over the oven.

I would cook strawberries before putting them in frozen yoghurt again. Fresh berries just have too much water.

No comments:

Post a Comment