Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve Pasta Lesson

We had our friend Kevin over for dinner this evening. He was alone in his trailer which is a bit dingy after his smoking in bed caught it on fire. He is on a disability pension so has limited resources and food is sometimes a problem.  So tonight I thought I'd see if I could alleviate that problem a little.  I asked him to come and learn how to make pasta. Start with room temperature ingredients.

Pasta for 2

1 egg
2/3 cup flour

Make a well in the flour and crack the egg into it. Place a fork in the middle of the egg and stir, slowly taking in more flour until it is all taken up.  If it's sticky it's too wet so add some flour and work it in till it is a firm dough that is not sticky. Cover in plastic and put in the fridge for half an hour, it won't roll out properly if you don't let it chill. When it has chilled it can be rolled out by hand and cut into noodles with a knife. No fancy machine needed to make basic pasta.

Kevin said, "It's that simple to make? I can't tell you how many times I've had an egg and flour and nothing to eat. I could have made pasta. I'll never be hungry again."

I feel so good. What a wonderful Christmas gift he's given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment