Sunday, December 2, 2012

Roast Beef with Cauliflower and Cheese Sauce


An inside round roast, not angus beef this time, but the regular road kill. Normally I would pass but this was an 'any roast for $10' sale and this huge chunk of meat would have sold for over $17 so I just couldn't pass it up. I coated it with

2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chilli powder

Then seared it all round on the stove before putting it in the oven at 250ยบ  for about 2 hours but I use a meat thermometer.  I let it rest out of the oven for twenty minutes under foil. The carrots and cauliflower were steamed and a cheese sauce covers the cauliflower and potatoes.  I ran out of horseradish so I had to use HP Sauce. It wasn't that bad.

The cheese sauce was simply 1 tsp flour and 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Cook the flour taste off it but don't brown it. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock then slowly add 1/2 cup milk whisking out any lumps. Add more milk if it's too thick.  Add 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I would have used cheddar but we were out!) stir to melt.

It was all pretty good and I have enough beef to make a stew and a chilli!

No comments:

Post a Comment