Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom White Wine Sauce


I did a turkey yesterday but totally forgot to photograph it.  The only remarkable thing was that I managed to keep it moist even in the white meat. Chef Jamie Oliver suggested roasting the bird upside down until the last hour then turn it over for the last hour.  This was easier than it sounds since I had a 10lb bird, but wear oven mits and just do it. It'll work. Starting with a fresh, not frozen, turkey of course.

I worked all day Christmas Day serving dinner to the less fortunate then yesterday made turkey dinner at home so by today I was pretty tired, but hungry again. So I picked up some crimini mushrooms and a bottle of white wine.  I put some white rice on to cook and got a carrot going in the steamer.  When they were half done I added the peas.

I 'Frenched' the pork tenderloin by cutting it into about 2 inch lengths and pounding it flat.

Pork Seasoning

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground mixed pepper
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp brown sugar or honey

I put the coating in a plastic bag and shook the medallions of pork then fried them in a nice hot pan.

Meanwhile I sliced up three mushrooms and fried them in some oil and butter an a small sauce pan.  Once they had a nice sear I sprinkled flour over them and cooked the taste off.  I added some turkey stock and white wine then let it boil down a bit.

I cooled the veggies under running water before they were done.  Then I finished them with butter and extra virgin olive oil in a pan on a medium low burner. When they were hot I plated the rice and veggies and spooned mushroom sauce over the meat and rice.  I put only half as much mustard and sugar in my mix and it was a bit anemic. The stated recipe should give better flavor. One thing I did do right was to cook the tenderloins on medium high heat.  They remained tender inside even though they were fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment