Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ham, Bacon, Brussels Sprouts with Cheese Sauce



I was thinking of fish today but all they had on special was scallops, which Fern doesn't really like. So I picked up a nice black forest ham instead. That would go well with the Brussels Sprouts on special. I wanted to do a version of the Ham and Cauliflower Quebecois dish with Sprouts instead.  I also wanted to use up some bacon so I put six strips of bacon in a frying pan and started them cooking.  I prepped all the sprouts and peeled the potatoes, put potatoes on to boil and the sprouts on to steam.  I had the oven warming up to 375ยบ while I put a tablespoon of flour in small sauce pan.  A tablespoon of oil with the flour and mix to a paste.  Cook off the flour taste then put in an ounce or two of chicken stock and half a cup of milk while whisking the lumps out. Add half a cup of shredded cheddar or mozzarella or whatever is in the fridge.

When the bacon was done I drained it on paper towel. The sprouts were 3/4 done so I drained them.  I covered the bottom of a 9x9 pan with thinly sliced ham. Over that the Brussels sprouts with the bacon on top.  I poured cheese sauce over all and put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. It was quite good, I'll do that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment