Thursday, December 13, 2012

Salisbury Steak



Somewhere under that pile of mushrooms is nearly half a pound of Angus beef goodness.  I was in a beef mood but nothing good was on special.  Ground Angus has lots of flavor so I bought the smallest pack, which was over a pound. I picked up some mushrooms and decided to use chicken stock and forgo red wine in the sauce. I used a little cooking wine and a little red wine vinegar to give it a tang.

I took a shallot, half a stick of celery and two cloves of garlic and chopped them finely.  I sweated them in the frying pan then took them out and put the mushrooms in. While the mushrooms were browning I put a teaspoon of flour and a tablespoon of oil in a small sauce pan and set it on medium to cook the flour. I put the meat in with the shallot, celery garlic and added 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme and mixed it thoroughly.  I formed the meat into patties and took the mushrooms out of the frying pan into the sauce pan with the flour and oil.  I put the meat in the frying pan with more oil.

The mushroom sauce got half a cup of homemade chicken stock. If I had to use commercial stock I would have used beef. That is why the gravy looks a little thin, the stock isn't very dark to start with but it sure tastes good. Mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables rinsed in cold water to stop cooking, then finished in the pan with butter and extra virgin olive oil.

The patties took at least 10 minutes a side to cook but they were still moist and delicious.  A humble meat but a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment