Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Fricassee from Leftover Roast Beef



That huge roast from the other day finally got cut up into a wonderful stew.  I started with an onion diced and browned in oil. Then I sweated the finely diced celery.  Next I put in all the meat and gave it a nice brown all round. I added 2 tbsp of flour and cooked the flour taste off for a minute or two then added garlic, turnip, carrots, more celery cut larger and frozen corn.  I added enough stock to cover most ingredients in the pot, then some salt, pepper, paprika, Worcestershire Sauce  and dried oregano.

I simmered it for about 2 hours then added potatoes and in the last half hour some frozen peas.  It cooked at least 3 hours over all and the meat was melt in your mouth tender.  The gravy was thick and full of flavor. If I hadn't forgotten to get a baguette it would have been perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment