Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Surf'n Turf




The Appy Hour daily half price special was lobster tails but they were small and I'd need two, I'll keep looking.  I got to the meat department and there was a nice Angus strip loin steak marked down half price too.  Half a steak and a lobster tail would make a really nice meal!

I decided on mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli.  I toyed with the idea of baked potato, but we were out of sour cream. I got the potatoes on to boil and carrots into the steamer.  I've finally started to prefer steaming the vegetables because they turn out so delicious. Once the carrots had a head start I put the broccoli into the steamer also.  When it was about 3/4 done I ran it all under cold water to stop cooking.  Then I have time to finish everything  else. When I'm almost ready to  plate, I put the vegetables back in the pot with butter and extra virgin olive oil.  The burner on medium low, if the oil gets too hot it becomes very bitter, but if you cook it just a little, it takes on a wonderful sweet flavor.

On the steak I put my


Southwestern Seasoning

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 tsp kosher salt (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp cayenne

and sprayed them with oil.  The lobster tails went on as is at the same time.  I did the usual 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes and they're done on the steaks and tails. Getting ready to plate I noticed one of the tails didn't seem to be cooked thoroughly so I put it in the microwave for a minute and that firmed it up.

I put a slab of butter and two cloves of fresh garlic in sauce pan on the burner to cook a little, for the lobster. I plated everything then poured garlic butter over the lobster and a little over the potatoes and steak too.  It was a really great meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment