Saturday, December 8, 2012

Southwest Rib Steak


After successfully putting out delicious crab cakes again, I felt I earned a tasty steak. I didn't want to pay full price for Angus beef, it was imitation crab after all, so I carefully chose from the 'regular but good' section.

I started the potatoes, PEI russets only available around this time. I steamed the carrots, then added the broccoli until they were almost done.  Then ran them under cold water to stop cooking.  The steaks I seasoned with my Southwestern spice rub and BBQ'd them.

Southwestern Seasoning


2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 tsp kosher salt (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp cayenne

I seasoned then sprayed the steaks with oil.  Brushing would have worked almost as well. Then put them on a hot grill for 4-5 minutes per side.  It's taken a while a but I'm getting much better at telling how cooked meat is just by pressing it a bit. If I remember to rotate them half way through each side I'll get nice grill marks too.

I put the vegetables back on the burner in butter and extra virgin olive oil on medium low heat during the last minute of the steak on the BBQ.  I want the steak to rest and the juices to settle back into the meat while the vegetables reheat and finish cooking.  I added milk and butter to the mashed potatoes, they had enough salt from the pot water. I served it all on warmed plates.

The steak was wonderful! The Southwest rub is even better than my beef rub on steaks at least. Even Fern liked his steak, usually he doesn't like fatty red meat, but this was lean and tasty enough to overcome his dislike.


No comments:

Post a Comment