Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cajun Basa


I am trying to decide where to do the bulk of my shopping. I used to shop at Save On Foods until Quality Foods opened. I remember I was happy to leave Save On but I couldn't remember why. My first shopping trip with a cart reminded me. First, I had to have a quarter coin so I could unlock a shopping cart. The shopping carts are huge. Now I remember.  Before the store was remodelled it had narrow aisles that were crammed with extra displays on the floor. The regular size carts were awkward to navigate around other carts and the floor displays. It was just too crowded.  Then they remodelled the store.  More floor space, wider aisles. It was finally a pleasure to shop there. Then they brought in larger jumbo carts that were even more awkward to get through the store. In the end, the wider aisles were crammed with even more floor displays and the larger carts were far more difficult to maneuver through the clutter. Using a shopping cart is a chore at Save On. 

So I tried out Safeway. I stopped shopping there because they were the newest, freshest, largest grocery store in town and had the prices to match. In the ensuing years I see their prices are now comparable to Save On so I can afford to go back. I tried some Basa which I seasoned with salt and my 

Cajun Spice Rub

2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp paprika 
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp ground cloves

The original recipe called for salt but I found that I wasn't getting enough salt on the food that way so now I salt the meat directly just before seasoning with rub.

I fried the basa in plenty of oil, then spoiled the look by slopping tartar sauce all over it. I'll get plating one day. Corn and mashed potato fill out the plate. I noticed the basa was previously frozen after I chose it so I hoped it was good. It was a bit mushy but not bad. Frozen fish is always mushy it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment