Monday, July 15, 2013

Spaghetti and Ciabatta Bread


I felt like spaghetti so I picked up some angus ground lean and headed home.  The sauce was a diced onion sweated to golden then a carrot and stick of celery finely diced and sweated. I removed the vegetables from the pan and added the meat to brown.  When it was all browned I put the veggies back in and added a can of Hunt's tomato sauce and a can of Aylmer tomato soup.  Only Aylmer will do, it has a unique flavour.  I got a bay leaf from my new tree in the back yard. I grated some fresh parmesan for the top and put my Barilla pasta on to boil. (Barilla tastes best)

Earlier in the day I made easy 

Ciabatta

1 liter bread flour/ about 4 cups ( I use all purpose flour but substitute 100ml of wheat gluten for flour )
450 ml water - 1.9 cups
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp xv olive oil

Mix flour/gluten, sugar and yeast. Add the water and salt. Use a fork to mix into a sticky mess. When all the flour is taken up keep pulling and stretching then slapping down over top of the dough, trapping air inside. Beat like this for 5 minutes. The recipe makes one loaf but I divide it into two loaves at this point. Pour the oil over the dough in the bowl or dough on parchment and brush it all over. Cover and put in a warm place to rise.  After an hour or when the dough doubles in size, Gently lift the loaves onto a floured baking sheet. Put in a 400°F oven for 40 minutes.

When the pasta was done I plated it all.  The ciabatta was wonderful.  Light with a really crunchy crust.  I finally succeeded at making bread! I think this was my fifth attempt. The pasta sauce was good as always.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment