Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chicken Cordon Swiss


Ryan asked what chicken cordon bleu was so I decided to make it for dinner. I didn't make hollandaise sauce because I've made it for him before and I'm desperately trying to hold on to my waist size. I forgot to spray the panko with oil so it didn't brown as much as I wanted. The peas are about 1/4 fresh from the garden, filled out with frozen.  I made plain white rice which I plated with a little soy sauce.  

I put a skinless boneless chicken breast in a clear plastic bag skin/smooth side up on the counter.  Use the smooth side of meat mallet to flatten the chicken breast to 1/4 inch thick or 2 to 3 times original size. Remove breast from bag, turn over and place on counter smooth side down.  Lay lunch meat thin piece of black forest (or other) ham in centre of breast. Place 1 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch piece of swiss (or what you have) cheese at the bottom edge of the breast.  Roll the breast and ham around the cheese while tucking in the ends. Gently coat roll in flour, roll in milk then roll in panko. Place in pan, spray oil on panko so it will brown and cook in 350ºF oven for 30 minutes or until cheese leaks out. Serve plain as I have or with hollandaise or cheese or whatever sauce will taste good. Plate the roll on top of the sauce so the panko stays crunchy.

Ryan loved it.  It does make rather a large portion so I don't make it often, but I like it when I have it!



No comments:

Post a Comment