Sunday, July 21, 2013

Prawn Quiche


I had twelve eggs from my two relentless layers. So, I thought, what can I make that uses lots of eggs? Quiche! Or as it's more easily understood here, Egg Pie with Shrimp!

Pie Pastry - One Double Crust Pie

2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup lard
1 egg
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar

This makes enough pastry for two quiche. I only want to make one so I'll make butter tarts with the remaining dough. Beat together egg, water and vinegar.  Mix salt and flour, then cut the lard into the flour until it is the texture of coarse oatmeal. These small lumps of fat create the layers of flaky pastry. Add two thirds of the egg mixture and combine with a fork. Add more liquid as needed to take up all the flour but don't make the dough too wet. Once the dough can be formed into a ball, cover and put in the fridge for minimum thirty minutes. 

Cut ball of dough in half and return smaller half to the fridge.  On a well floured surface I roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness, sprinkling flour over top and around the sides as I go. When it is thin and wide enough to cover the whole pie plate.  I slide an icing knife under the dough to release it from the counter top. Place the rolling pin on the dough and lift the dough over the rolling pin, then gently roll the dough onto the pin. Unroll over the pie plate and lift the edges till the dough fills the bottom of the plate. Pierce the crust all around with a fork so it doesn't rise too much and brush melted butter all around so the filling won't make the crust soggy.

I diced an onion and caramelized it, added a finely chopped garlic clove and sweated it. I tossed in 8 to 10 prawns and cooked them just till they had colour but the centre was still raw. Let cool slightly.  In a four cup measure crack two cups eggs, add onion, garlic and prawns.  Add cream or milk to make three cups liquid.  Pour into pie shell and bake in preheated 400ºF oven for 30-40 minutes. When the centre doesn't jiggle it's done.

Kevin was over working in the garden so I went out to ask who wanted a piece of quiche for lunch.
"What's quiche?"
"egg pie."
"I'll try it."
"Wow, this is really good! It's got shrimp in it! Can I take a piece home with me?"
"of course."



No comments:

Post a Comment