Saturday, July 27, 2013

Indonesian Satay Chicken


I like peanut sauce so chicken satay is a natural choice. I found this recipe online somewhere and it sounded good. Turned out my own invention was a bit better but this did teach me a little so it was a worthwhile exercise. I just noticed there is no salt in the recipe so that is probably why it was a disappointment. The salt in the soy sauce isn't enough.

Indonesian Satay 

3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp peanut oil
2 cloves garlic
black pepper
pinch of cumin
1 tbsp oil

Mix satay and marinate chicken in it for at least 20 minutes. (at least an hour really)
If chicken is cut into strips then thread the chicken onto skewers. If it's whole just put it on the BBQ. It takes 25-30 minutes to cook a boneless chicken breast. Maybe 7 minutes for skewers, depends entirely on thickness.

Peanut Sauce

1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

This sauce was a little better than mine but I think it could still be better. Chicken stock instead of water would pick it up a bit. Next time I'll try that. Ordinary rice and frozen peas fill out the plate. Not a bad effort but it does look a lot like gravy.




No comments:

Post a Comment