Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Southwest Chicken


I bought boneless chicken breasts from Mitchell's this time. Either they were extremely small chickens or the butcher left half the meat on the carcass.  It was about the same price as the other stores and didn't taste any different.  I prefer boning chicken myself because I do a better job and I make stock and use the skins for dog treats. Anyway, I seasoned the breasts with 

Southwest Spice Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder


1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

I also salted both sides of the breast. Fresh carrots and frozen peas microwaved and rice, also from the microwave, fill out the plate. I cooked them on the BBQ for about 15 minutes, half the usual time.  They were good. I was afraid they'd be dry because they're so thin but they were fine. I'm just used to larger breasts. On the other hand, smaller pieces of meat will suit Fern's sister better when she arrives next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment