Friday, July 12, 2013

Rib Eye Steak with Baked Potato and Raspberry Salad


I felt like a steak and I was near the butcher shop so I decided to check them out.  They had 8oz Angus rib eye steaks for $9 each.  That is pricey but it's cheaper than Quality Foods and it's trimmed beautifully.  Fern always complains when there is a lot of fat on a steak, he had no complaints about this one. There is a little bit of fat marbled in the meat but not much, just enough to add flavour. I salted and seasoned with 

Southwest Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder

1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

and did it on the BBQ. I cooked it for a minute to  a minute and a half then rotated it, flipped it and rotated it again.  The total cooking time was 5 to 6 minutes.

The potatoes I par cooked in the microwave then wrapped them in foil with butter, salt and chives then put them on the bun rack in the BBQ. I served mine with sour cream, chives and artificial bacon bits. (I confess, I like them)

Ryan doesn't like tomatoes so I had to be creative with the salad.  I settled on butter lettuce and raspberries from the garden and walnuts from the store.  The dressing was rice bran oil and rice vinegar with a little salt and mixed pepper. Whisk it up and toss the salad in it. Fresh and delicious.

The steak was amazing.  Butter tender and full of flavour. The baked potato, while ordinary, tasted great. The salad was surprisingly good, I'll make it again maybe with a little feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment