Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sole with Almonds and lemon Sauce


Fern and Ryan both asked for sole for dinner. It is the easiest fish to cook so I don't mind it at all.  I made mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives instead of butter and milk.  Carrots and broccoli were done in the steamer. The fish is simply salted, dredged in flour and laid in a hot frying pan with plenty of oil.  It only takes a minute or two each side so have everything else ready before putting fish in oil.

When the broccoli and carrots were almost done I drained them and added extra virgin olive oil to their pot over medium low heat. The lemon sauce for fish is roux based.  I put a large pad of butter and 2 tsp of flour in a small sauce pan.  I cooked the flour taste off then added chicken stock to thin the roux into a sauce.  Then I added lemon juice and salt to taste. I put some blanched almonds in the toaster to brown slightly and plated them on the fish with sauce over top.

Fern loved the potatoes, Ryan didn't but he doesn't like so many foods it's ridiculous. He picks through his food like a seven year old, eating only what he likes. It's not his fault he grew up that way but I have no idea how to help him at this point in his life. 

I over did the broccoli just a little but the lemon sauce was spot on. I put too much sour cream in the potatoes so they were a bit too rich, but good. The fish was wonderful, as always. Only buy fresh sole, frozen sole cooks down into mush so don't try it. Don't worry about the bones, they are small enough to supply a little crunch in the meat without being a choking hazard.


No comments:

Post a Comment