Monday, September 3, 2012

Cajun Chicken with Green Beans



Fresh chicken breasts were on sale today and I was planning chicken anyway so no time wasted deciding.  I just grabbed a nice package of breasts and headed out. At home I let the chicken warm up on the counter while I peeled potatoes and carrots and trimmed the beans. I put the potatoes on to boil and the carrots in the steamer.  I used one of the vegetable bags from the grocery store to pound the chicken flat, it worked better than plastic wrap so that's what I'll use from now on. Pounding the chicken flat means it can be cooked evenly so it won't be dry, it also has greater surface area to take on flavor so it's a double win. I don't pound it much, it's still half an inch thick, but it makes a big difference. I seasoned it well with my Cajun Rub.


Cajun Rub
===============
 1/4 Cup of salt
 2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
 2 Tbsp. paprika
 1-1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
 1 Tbsp. freshly ground white pepper
 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
 2 tsp. dried basil
 1 tsp. chili powder
 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
 1/8 tsp ground cloves



Once the carrots were about half done I added the beans to the steamer. The chicken was on the BBQ over the heat for 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes and they're done. While that was doing, I drained and whipped the potatoes then drained the vegetables.  I emptied the water from the steamer pot and put some oil and butter in it. To that I added the beans and carrots and sprinkled a little xv olive oil, salt and pepper over them and put them on medium heat.  I took my warmed plates out to the BBQ and plated the breasts.  Back into the kitchen and plate the mashed potatoes and the vegetables.  A really good, simple meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment