Sunday, September 9, 2012

Strip Loin BBQ


The tomatoes are ripening quickly so the kitchen is given over to making ketchup and condiments. Dinner had to require little preparation and be cooked on the BBQ.  Fortunately strip loins were on special, not Angus but they have fairly good quality meat anyway. I decided to use up the rest of the greek yogurt instead of sour cream, Fern didn't like the idea but I thought it tasted quite good.  

I put the potatoes in the microwave to cook most of the way while I prepped the carrots, broccoli and steaks. I put the carrots in the steamer then seasoned the steaks with my Beef Rub and sprayed them with oil.

Beef Rub

1  1/4  tablespoons paprika
1   tablespoon kosher salt
1   teaspoon garlic powder
1/2   teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2   teaspoon onion powder
1/2   teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2   teaspoon dried oregano
1/2   teaspoon dried thyme

By the time I'd done that the microwave was finished with the potatoes, so I took them out and set them on squares of aluminum foil. I sliced them down the middle, filled them with butter and a few lengths of chives, some salt and folded up the foil around them.  I put the broccoli in with the carrots, the steaks on the BBQ and the potatoes on the BBQ but off the heat. The steaks I cooked on high heat for 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes and they're done. Nice grill marks this time too!



I plated the vegetables then put butter and salt on them. A dollop of yogurt and few chives on the potatoes and serve.  It was all as good as it looks.


No comments:

Post a Comment