Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ling Cod


Our gardener friend went fishing last night and caught several fish.  We were gifted with two lovely Ling Cod fillets. Big too, half of one each was plenty. I'm keeping the other for tomorrow night. The beans are heirloom from the garden so half the meal is local or our own production.

I don't have much experience with cod but I know it doesn't have a lot of flavor on it's own so I needed to add some.  I started with corn flour, about 2 tablespoons in a plastic bag.  I added 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric. Salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne to spice it up.  Shook the fillets in that bag and laid them in hot oil. It took about 4 minutes per side because the fillets were quite thick at one end.

I steamed the vegetables and ran them under cold water when done.  When the fish almost done I put some butter and xv olive oil in the vegetables and heated them up quickly on the burner. Suburban standard plating again, but it works well enough at this point. The fish was great, not too spicy, good flavor. I could have gone much heavier on the spices.


No comments:

Post a Comment