Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pork Cutlet with Ketchup



I was running late so dinner had to be quick and easy to prepare.  I decided on pork cutlets that were on sale. I simply put a tablespoon of corn flour, a tablespoon of corn meal ( polenta ), salt and pepper in a plastic bag and shook the cutlets to coat them. I got the potatoes on to cook and set the carrots into the steamer.  Fresh beans from the garden can't be beat but they sure are a pain to clean.  I hold the stem end under running water and brush the dirt off the bean fuzz, tedious but worth the trouble.  I started the cutlets in a frying pan with plenty of hot oil.  When the carrots were half done I added the beans to the steamer.

I have decided to fully describe everything in each meal so there are no links to other articles for recipes etc. To that end here is my shortest possible mashed potato recipe. Peel them, rinse them, cut them into less than one inch pieces, cover them with cold water in a pot with half a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil then turn down to gentle boil. When a fork pierces them easily, drain them, mash them, add a pad of butter and a little salt.  With a fork stir in an ounce of milk, add more if it's too dry.

When the beans were almost done I took them off the steamer and ran them under cold water to stop cooking.  When the cutlets were done I put them on warm plates to rest while I tossed the beans and carrots in butter, xv olive oil, salt and pepper over a medium burner. Don't over heat xv olive oil or it becomes bitter and unpleasant. Plate everything and put some ketchup on the cutlet.


No comments:

Post a Comment