Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pork Schnitzel


I went to the grocery store with either beef or pork in mind.  There was no tempting beef on special but there were some pork cutlets.  I picked the smallest family size that had 3 pieces of meat and it was under $3 so very attractive by price. I've had such good results pounding my chicken breasts that I decided to try the same with the cutlets.  So I pounded them to about double in size. I put some corn flour in a plastic bag and coated each cutlet.  In another bag I mixed bread crumbs, salt, pepper and mustard powder. Then I dipped the cutlets in egg and coated them with the bread crumbs. Finally into a frying pan with plenty of oil over medium high heat.

Mashed potatoes and corn on the cob round out the plate.  The corn is just boiled for 20 minutes and served separately so it can be swimming in butter. Home made ketchup is the condiment on the pork.

Apple Ketchup


2 lbs tomatoes
2 lbs apples, unpeeled but cored
4 medium onions
3 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp pickling spices

Here are my mashed potato instructions which I include for completeness and a bit of silliness.

Peel them, rinse them, cut them into less than one inch pieces, cover them with cold water in a pot with half a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil then turn down to gentle boil. When a fork pierces them easily, drain them, mash them, add a pad of butter and a little salt.  With a fork stir in an ounce of milk, add more if it's too dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment