Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Southwest Chicken with Ketchup


I desperately needed chicken stock so I picked up 4 breasts with bones and skin on.  First I boned the breasts and put the bones in the stock pot.  The skins I peeled off and fried crispy for the dogs.  The stock pot went into a 350º oven for 45 minutes then cooled a bit and an onion, carrot, stick of celery and a bay leaf went in with a full pot of water and set to boil then simmer for a few hours.

I got my carrots and broccoli prepped and ready to go in the microwave. Half the stove is still busy so I'm taking the easy way out.  I started a quarter cup rice for each of us and put a breast in a plastic bag.  I pounded the breasts to about double in size then seasoned with my Southwest Rub.


Southwest Spice Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano (I used Golden Oregano, use what you have)
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne (optional, but it really helps)

I put the breasts on the BBQ over low heat for 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes and they should be done with lovely grill marks if the BBQ was hot to start. I started the microwave and magically everything was ready at the same time. I must be getting better at it. I buttered the vegetables and put a little xv olive oil on them with salt and pepper.  Ketchup on the breast and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment