Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Prawn Stir Fry


This was a last minute switch.  I was going to cook a pork chop on the BBQ and have it with mashed potatoes and vegetables.  My partner said he really didn't feel like pork chops.  I offered, "I could make a prawn stir fry on rice instead?" Sold!

I put some basmati rice on to cook and got the prawns out of the freezer.  I bought a 2lb bag of frozen raw prawns for $5 a while back and they have come in really handy. Freezing kills a bit of the flavor but,  being raw, I can cook them properly, not rubbery. I ran the prawns under cold water for a few minutes then left them to thaw.

I diced up an onion and a green pepper and sliced up a carrot and stick of celery.  First I browned the onion to golden then took it out and put the prawns in with a crushed clove of garlic.  When the prawns were almost cooked I took them out and put in the carrots, then celery and finally the green pepper. When everything was sweated I put the onion and prawns back in and added some soy sauce. When it was all cooked I plated the stir fry over the rice. Fast, easy and reasonably delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment