Saturday, July 12, 2014

BBQ Roasted Onion Chicken on Apple Caesar


I asked Fern what he'd like for dinner.  "Salad."
"Chicken on a Caesar?"
"Perfect."

Chicken Rub

1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp flour

I knew from the start that I didn't have croutons but I was going to use something else, didn't know what yet. I salted and peppered (or paprika)  the chicken all around then put it in a plastic bag with the rub and shook to coat.

Without the flour the herbs scorch. I brushed both sides with oil before putting the breasts on the BBQ. I put them over medium heat for two minutes, turned them over for 2 more minutes, then put them off the heat in the centre to roast. My BBQ has 3 burners and I leave the centre one off so I can roast meat there. Roast for 30 minutes total cooking time. Let it rest, then slice and plate it with the salad. I put a little salsa beside mine to spice it up, Fern had no salsa.

Apple Caesar

1 egg yolk
1/3 cup oil 
1 clove garlic crushed, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
few drops Worcestershire Sauce
few drops Asian Fish Sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup grated parmesan
black pepper
1 head Romaine
1 apple diced just before adding - so it won't go brown - I used a Royal Gala

Wash and break the Romaine into bite size pieces. In the salad bowl put the yolk, then while whisking slowly add the oil one teaspoon at a time. If the oil is added too fast the sauce will break. When all the oil is taken up, add the remaining ingredients and whisk. Add the romaine and toss. Lastly, dice and add the apple. Plate the chicken on or beside the salad. Optional salsa beside the chicken for a little more kick.

Fern had no salsa and said "The chicken is delicious!"
Then, "The salad is delicious too!"
Yippee! A home run! 
I really enjoyed the apple in the salad. Some walnuts might be nice too. I guess that would be a Waldorf Caesar.
The onion powder on the chicken cooks up with that caramelized onion flavour, mouth watering. I think the salsa was a great addition but Fern thoroughly enjoyed his chicken without.

Broken Aioli Rescue

If you break a mayonnaise, like this, or a Hollandaise, get another yolk and slowly add the broken sauce to the yolk until it's all taken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment