Saturday, July 12, 2014

Maple Cashew Coffee Cake


I've always liked coffee cake, don't know why I've never made one. I got out my trusty Joy of Cooking and turned to the basic coffee cake recipe.

Coffee Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter. Cream sugar into butter. Add egg and milk, mix. Add flour, salt and baking powder, mix. Pour into greased or better parchment lined 9x9 pan. 

Honey Bee Glaze - 1/8 cup is about 2 tablespoons

1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup milk
1/8 cup butter
1/8 cup honey
1/4 cup nuts - cashews are great!

Stir and heat to boiling over low heat. Pour over coffee cake batter and put in a 375ºF oven for 25 minutes.

I, being the most talented and organized chef on the planet, made the recipe straight from the Joy of Cooking, which made enough for two cakes. I also didn't cook it first. Then to top it all off, I didn't have any honey! What to do? I had real maple syrup in the fridge, so I substituted maple syrup for honey. I poured a small lake on top of the coffee cake batter and put it in the oven at 350º. Yup, I got the temperature wrong too. The cake just took longer to bake. 

Despite all the mistakes I made, it tasted great! Fern's first piece had too much Bee Glaze but he had a second piece that was perfect and he loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment