Saturday, July 19, 2014

Souvlaki with Crimini Mushrooms and Greek Salad


I'm shopping at Mitchell's more often and one of their best values is the souvlaki. It tastes great and is easy to BBQ.  I made saffron rice with salt, lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of saffron. To accompany the meal a Greek salad.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper

Dice some cucumber and tomatoes. I finely chopped a slice of onion and broke a piece of feta cheese into the bowl. A handful of black olives and toss. 

The pork kebabs were BBQ'd over medium heat for 15 minutes. I couldn't find a decent green vegetable so I bought some crimini mushrooms. While I was making dinner I thought to put green peas in with the mushrooms. Normally Fern doesn't like frozen vegetables in summer. This time he commented on how good the mushrooms and peas were. 

I used Western Family Black Pitted Olives and unfortunately they tasted cheap. They had crunch and looked good but when I bit into one I got a mouthful of ... nothing. They had no flavour. The meal would have been perfect if I had spent another dollar on the olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment