Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chicken Curry with Asparagus Greek Salad


I had two onion chicken breasts left over from the other night and Fern suggested I curry them. So I picked up a can of coconut milk and got to work. The half cup of rice had just salt, a few drops of lemon juice and two teaspoons of olive oil. I diced an onion and sweated it then added a green pepper from the garden and a little salt. Next I sprinkled a tablespoon of curry powder over all and heated it up then added some beef stock. Next about 2/3 of a can of coconut milk. I cooked down the curry to thicken it and about 3 minutes before serving I added the diced chicken. It was already cooked so I held it back so it didn't become rubbery.

I bought the asparagus a few days ago on sale and haven't made a meal I could serve it with. I thought about how I could prepare it so it would go with the curry. Nothing came to mind. I looked at the cutting board. I had a bunch of asparagus and a couple of tomatoes out. Then I remembered a woman at Save On buying the same asparagus saying she was going to blanch it and use it in salads. That's what I'll  do.

I put the asparagus in the steamer basket and set it in the pot with a bit of boiling water at the bottom. I cooked it just till a fork pierced it then ran it under cold water to stock cooking. I cut each stalk into 3 pieces and added to the diced tomato. I also broke a piece of feta cheese into it and added some pitted Kalamata olives and a slice of onion finely diced. I made the salad in reverse order because I wasn't sure at the start where it was going. Now I had all the ingredients in I put a teaspoon of olive oil in a separate bowl.  To that I added a teaspoon of canola oil and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. 1/2 teaspoon of salt and fresh ground black pepper. Whisk that up and pour over the salad, then toss it together.

The curry was very good, nothing special, but it was nice. The salad was the star. The asparagus lifted that salad up to heights I didn't know a salad could go. Asparagus Greek salad with Coconut Chicken Curry on basmati rice. It just doesn't sound like a meal from my kitchen, but it sure was good! A meal like this really makes me feel a bit more like a chef.


No comments:

Post a Comment