Monday, July 28, 2014

Breaded Pork Cutlet


Save On had pork cutlets again. Apparently they get them at the whim of some faceless manager on the prairies. The breading they use is really good so it overcomes the fact that the meat was cut and packaged on the prairies last week and trucked here, priced and put out for sale. Steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes. No salad because we had a late lunch.

I simply fried the cutlet in olive oil. That is Fern's home made apple sauce condiment. The broccoli was steamed to half cooked then cooled under running water and finished in olive oil.  The potatoes were boiled in salted water, mashed and hand whipped with butter and milk. I've seen people use an immersion blender to process potatoes and it turns them into a thick, unpalatable paste, but it's how their mother made them!

No doubt I could find a better way to arrange the plate, but Fern always complains that the broccoli is cold so I plate and serve as fast as possible. Broccoli has tremendous surface area to lose heat from  so that is why it gets cold so fast. There is a smear of fat on the plate I didn't clean up. My bad. 

The food was really good, better than it looks in the photo. I manage to get flavour out of each component now so I guess it's time to start working on the look of the plate. I know the secret is to plan the whole plate so every component makes sense together. Maybe at this point looking through cook books would give me some ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment