Saturday, July 19, 2014

Onion Chicken with Asparagus and Garden Salad


I shared this recipe with Dave, the chef owner of the Laughing Oyster. It's deceptively simple, just equal parts flour and onion powder.  Salt the chicken breast then shake it in a bag with the flour and onion mix. Brush the breast with olive oil and place over the heat on the BBQ. Cook for two minutes then turn over and place off the heat to roast. Twenty five to thirty minutes total cooking time. The oil cooks the onion powder giving the meat a wonderful caramelized onion flavour. It can be paired with almost any sauce from mayonnaise to salsa. I didn't use a sauce tonight because Fern likes this just as it comes off the grill, no sauce needed. 

I steamed the asparagus, ordinary mashed potatoes. I made a lemon beurre blanc which if I understand correctly is white wine with butter emulsified in it. I used white wine and a little lemon juice with a tablespoon of barely melted butter. I don't think I achieved an emulsion but it tasted good.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp red balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
pepper

Cucumber and lettuce from the garden with fresh local tomatoes. Fresh from the garden really does taste better than fresh from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment